Stream processing engines can make or break any organization’s future. But the question is are you using the right stream […]
When it comes to data migration tools, you will find Apache NiFi and Apache Kafka at the top of the ladder. Since two tools are at the top, comparisons are bound to happen. Although Apache NiFi Vs Kafka overlaps each other in terms of usability, NiFi might carry an edge over Kafka. NiFi and Kafka have different sets of functions, use cases, architecture, and benefits. To answer when should one use Apache NiFi as opposed to Kafka, we will unravel the functions and limitations of both! As for now, let’s start with the introduction of both tools.
What Is Apache Nifi?
NiFi is a data flow framework capable of moving data from one source to another. Apache NiFi is well-known for its effortless flow of data with enhanced security features. If you are an organization, you can simply transfer your company’s essential data to the destination with NiFi.
The encrypted platform of the NiFi data flow pipeline will allow an extra layer of security for the data. Moreover, the tool will ensure data retention at all costs.
What Is Apache Kafka?
Apache Kafka is an open-source real-time data streaming platform used by a plethora of small and big companies all around the world. With Java and Scala in the store, Kafka lays out a platform for easy coding. Along with real-time streaming in Kafka, the best part about Kafka is that you can store as much data as you want and edit later. For this, you’ve got Kafka clusters at the input and output source of the platform. The involvement of standard languages makes it an easy-to-use tool for developers.
Apache Nifi vs Kafka
Having an idea of the edge NiFi has over Apache Kafka, we need to jump in the comparison between the two. So, let’s begin with the functions and lead to limitations.
FUNCTIONS OF APACHE NIFI AND KAFKA
Starting with the Apache NiFi, here are the functions of the platform.
- NiFi stays strong even if the scale of the data is huge while providing guaranteed delivery to the destination. Most importantly, NiFi won’t take much time to transfer the data with its lightning fast speed.
- With NiFi, you can pull out the queued data at any instance. There are times when the data is not required and sending it might hamper the security of your organization. This is where Apache NiFi provides this added layer of security for the users.
- You can sort the data according to the preference as NiFi allows prioritization. The feature will help you during emergency tasks. In normal conditions, data is sorted in the oldest-first loop but you change it accordingly.
- Once you have sent the data, you can modify it according to the flow. NiFi offers the visual representation of your data flow, so you can rectify it at the same time.
- Scalability is the best feature of Apache NiFi. With this feature, you can induce a larger amount of data in comparison to any other induction platform.
Hopping on to the features of Apache Kafka, here are some of them.
- Kafka is well-known for its throughput speed, which can shoot messages at 2 ms. Therefore, the processing time is low and you can enjoy the high output.
- The platform allows you to store as much data as you want and process it later. Now, you don’t need to worry about the data with Kafka due to its durability and enhanced Kafka security.
- Pick any event of your choice and connect through Kafka! Indeed, the open-source allows connection with hundreds of event sinks.
- Kafka can handle petabytes of data in one go! You can expand and contract the storage according to your accessibility at any instance.
- Stream processing applications in Kafka use state stores to store and query data provided by Kafka Streams.
- Any stream processing application in Kafka can take advantage of the Kafka Streams library.
LIMITATIONS OF APACHE NIFI VS KAFKA
We are done with the positive side of both tools! Therefore, let’s switch over to the limitations of the two. Starting with the Apache NiFi, here are the limitations.
- Once the node is detached from the cluster, it’s difficult to fetch the data from that node. Although you can manually copy the data from that node, it will occupy your time and energy. However, if you are on the receiver end, you cannot find the data from the detached node until the admin follows the above procedure.
- Another limitation is the state persistence issue of the Apache NiFi. The issue makes it difficult for the source to fetch the data. If you experience an issue in the first node, you can expect the impact in other nodes, n as well.
With these two limitations, NiFi presents a strong case for itself. However, it would be hollow to comment before considering the limitations of Apache Kafka. So, let’s move on to that.
- Lack of management and monitoring tools makes Kafka difficult for new users. Although there are a few tools available for the users, the incomplete set creates difficulty in error handling in Kafka for startups.
- In case you require to change the message while sending, Kafka will create issues. You can use the system calls, but that will kill the atmosphere of switching to Kafka initially.
- Constant compressing and decompressing of the data affect the throughput value of the software. Apache Kafka is well-known for its throughput speed, as we’ve already discussed. If you fail to retrieve a similar speed, the functionality of the platforms demeans itself.
- As you continue to increase the queues in the cluster, Kafka will initiate a clumsy behavior.
You might have noticed that Apache NiFi Vs Kafka turns to one direction at some points, while the other in the rest. With throughput speed, data alteration, and data compressions, Apache NiFi carries an edge over Kafka. So, when you are looking for lightning speed, data modulation, and enhanced security, you should opt for Apache NiFi as opposed to Kafka.
If you are an organization and looking for the best Apache NiFi development company as well as an Apache Kafka development company, Ksolves is always a call away!
With our expertise in the field backed by experienced developers, Ksolves is rated as one of India’s best Apache NiFi consulting companies and expert at Kafka error handling. We have efficient NiFi and Kafka monitoring setup tools, follow efficient security measures and implement best strategies for successful integration of these software platforms. Just a reminder, we are one of the best Apache Kafka consulting companies in India as well. So, feel free to contact us for more information regarding any solution.
Arc Backend Theme Enterprise
Customize the App Drawer background of the theme with the option to choose a color or the image, and manage the transparency of the same.Without following a time-consuming process, a user can search any term from any module or menu and redirect to the same from the app drawer of what you were looking for.
One thought on “Apache NiFi Vs Kafka : What Should You Prefer?”